Old 15-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:26:02 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , clokemg clokemg.1nj9k2@
gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Magwitch Wrote:
clokemg muttered:
-

I am planning to put a pond in the garden. After digging out the
foundations for a large shed I have decided that I want to hire a
digger to create the hole. Does anyone have any advice on the
following....

1. Good websites on creating a wildlife friendly pool.-

I got my pond plants from these people about 2 years ago and now I'd
say I
have a fully functional natural pond habitat:

What would you recommend at your top 'wouldn't be without' plants?

Caltha palustris - Marsh marigold. Like huge buttercups early in the
season, big glossy leaves. marginal
Water forget-me-not - Marginal, or shallow water. Spreads well and blue
flowers over a long season.
Water hawthorn - shallowish water - not a native, but worth growing for
the scent.

Personally, I'd add brooklime (veronica beccabunga) to the list of
marginals. No scent, lots of little blue flowers from May
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P3/P33354.HTM
spreads well, native marsh plant.[/i][/color]

Yes, I agree with that. We have lots of brooklime and it spreads
well, is easy to control and oxygenates the ponds and helps control
any blanketweed. Watercress is also good for this (don't eat it), but
in our experience the brooklime looks nicer. To the OP: you might
find the pictures of how we did our pond of interest on
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk/pond.html
I would also recommend Paul Bromfield Aquatics for pond plants on
http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/store/erol.html

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap