Old 16-04-2005, 03:40 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey lohn
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding laying sod-- and maintenance after it's put down. we are sodding a tiny urban(NYC) back yard area -- only about 12 x 15 feet. area gets sun for apprx 1/2 day. we just bought the sod-- nursery said it was a kind of "sun/shade" variety.

Help make our thumbs green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie
Make sure that the soil you are putting the sod on is good topsoil.
Unless you have excellent soil you may want to consider raking all of the soil off the top to about two inches down, then put topsoil in its place.
Once it is raked out and leveled this will give you a very nice desired look.
Chuckie

Hi Jeffrey,

You don't need soil as you already have that. Purchasing topsoil can bring in weed seeds and you don't need that. Adding compost will improve the texture of your soil and add nutrients. A 2" to 3" layer tilled in before you sod will help. Here's how to lay sod and maintain organically.

http://www.garden.org/articles/scrip...;subch=default
http://turfgrass.com/planting/rake.html
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/compost/organic.htm
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...18-142,00.html
http://216.109.89.116/backyardwildli...rganiclawn.cfm
http://www.members.tripod.com/~Garde.../index-11.html

And don't forget to lift with your knees.
Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.