Old 16-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Jo

They will.

When in emersed state the plants probably grow faster as there is more CO2
in air than could be safely introduced into the water. But, studies have
shown that plants with leaves out of water will still benefit from CO2
introduced in the air, up to a certain level where anymore will have no
effect.

I don't believe that the amount of CO2 produced from the common DIY recipie
will build enough pressure to burst the lid off. However, I've never tried
injecting CO2 into the air in a contained setup. You can perhaps try it out
at your own risks...

A few things to note:

1) Some CO2 may escape as the lid is not air tight (then again, sugar is
cheap) but don't bother to tape around the lid. You will eventually have to
clear any condensations on the lid.

2) As all the CO2 produced will stay in the tank for a while, the CO2 may
diffuse into the water, the water chemistry may change. Check your water
chemistry often .

3) Place your injection tube under water and just let the CO2 bubble into
the air (where it is supposed to go to). I believe that those needle-like
stuff where the bubbles come out were designed to be placed under water.

Good luck! Send your results to the group and let us know!(Or even better,
show us some "before" and "after" pics.)

All the best,

Jo

"Aaron" wrote in message
a.net...

Thanks for all the info.

Maybe I can fill the new tank to half and try growing anubias
so it fills all the tank. I will cover since i notice that the
leaves dry out quickly when they stick out. Would they benefit
with the diy co2 in emersed state?

Thanks again.

In article , liew26302
@pacific.net.sg says...
"Emersed" in this case means having the leaves of the plant above (not
on)
the water surface. If the room (or gardern) where you place the growing
tank
is humid, the leaves and flowers should not dry-out. If you live in an
area
with low humidity, you can probably place a sheet of transparent glass or
acrylic over the growing tank to trap water vapour for 2 days before
moving
in the Anubias. Keep the sheet there until your Anuibas has grown out its
leaves to the specific size you want. Wipe off any condensation on the
sheet
daily.

Anubias are tropical plants that live in flood-prone areas. Their most
active gowing periods are when they are emersed and during this time they
also store more nutrients in their rhizome than when emersed. When the
floods come, the plant growth slows down and the plant uses the stored
food
behaves like any submersed normal plants (like crypts) but with all taht
stored food, it can grow better.

When I said "normal" I was refering to typical fertilisers for indoor
house
plants with macronutrients. The reason why normal fertilisers is used
instead of the aquarium version is that in a growing tank with no fishes,
there is no macronutrient supply. (Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potassium
comes
mainly from fish food in aquariums.) If you worry about algae problem in
your growing tank (actually, for this purpose, a pot will do), place a
styrofoam board with a large slit over the rhizome for the leaves
floating
in this manner to reduce algae growth:

Glass/ Transparent Acrylic Sheet
|===========================|
| |
| +++ |
| +++++ |
| Leaves +++++++ |
| +++++++ |
| ++++++ | Pot
| +++++ |
| +++ |
| | |
|Styrofoam | Styrofoam|
|XXXXX........................|.......XXXXXX|
| Rhizome ... | .... |
| ...... | ... |
-----|--------Water
| \/ ..... | |
| 00000000000000000000 |
|___00000000000 Rock 00000 0000.__|

By placing fertilisers containg macronutrients in the water, there is no
need for any substrate (or else, the roots may get stuck again). Try
putting
in only a 1/4 of the recommended amount
stated on the label and only increase the amount slowly with complete
water