Old 16-04-2005, 10:19 AM
JennyC

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote
Could someone identify the following for me:
http://tinyurl.com/6742c

It's in flower now in the GH.
I was given the bulbs, and have no idea what they are, except that they
are
really gorgeous!
I'd like to know whether they can go into the garden, or need to be kept
frost
free.

Without a doubt they are Bletilla striata the "Hyacinth Orchid" and
according to "Hardy Orchids" is from China and Japan where it grows at
elevations up to 10,500 ft.
Your's is the normal form but there are light pink and white forms too. I
always regret not buying the latter when I saw it a couple of years ago.
Mine have been out in the garden for years (full sun, well drained good
loam) and whilst they have never bulked up much they are still there and
have moved around a bit from where they were originally planted. A hard
winter does put them back as does a very dry summer (if I forget to water),
but they come up every year although never flower as well as in your photo.
Perhaps I should dig them up and pot them up. :-)
Regards
Bob

Thanks everyone :~)
Maybe I'll split them up and put half outside to see how they fare next year.
Jenny