Old 16-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Magwitch

Kay muttered:

In article , clokemg clokemg.1nj9k2@
gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Magwitch Wrote:
clokemg muttered:
-

I am planning to put a pond in the garden. After digging out the
foundations for a large shed I have decided that I want to hire a
digger to create the hole. Does anyone have any advice on the
following....

1. Good websites on creating a wildlife friendly pool.-

I got my pond plants from these people about 2 years ago and now I'd
say I
have a fully functional natural pond habitat:

What would you recommend at your top 'wouldn't be without' plants?

Caltha palustris - Marsh marigold. Like huge buttercups early in the
season, big glossy leaves. marginal
Water forget-me-not - Marginal, or shallow water. Spreads well and blue
flowers over a long season.
Water hawthorn - shallowish water - not a native, but worth growing for
the scent.
[/i][/color]
I'd add to above excellent examples some native oxygenating plants to keep
algae at bay: Potamogeton crispus (curled pondweed), Myriophyllum spicatum
(water milfoil), Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort). I've also got water
hawthorn and it was actually blooming in December this year, I'd thought it
was a native... but then pheasants were only introduced by the Normans )

These came weighted with a little lead ties so you just drop them into the
water.

Water lilies (of course). I've got the native Alba ones, but I've recanted a
bit and have a red 'Attraction' and a creamy yellow one called Texas.

For marginal plants I'd suggest: Botomus umbellatus flowering rush with
heads of pink flowers, Pontederia cordata (pickeral weed) arrowhead leaves
and blue hyacinth-like flowers and yellow flag iris.

Another tip: Don't accept 'gifts' from other pond owners, they may have
invasive species mixed in such as Parrot feather or Canadian pond weed that
aren't native and will take over. To keep blanket weed at bay, make sure the
pond isn't too nitrogen rich, no fertilisers, topsoil or ordinary compost
and if it happens, get a bale of barley straw to rot down in the pond.