Old 17-04-2005, 12:44 AM

It can be done, but the sucess rate is pretty low. I would take a lot
more cuttings than you actually need in the hopes that a few will root.
Use a rooting hormone and keep them in the shade and mist them
frequently if you plan on using softwood cuttings. You might also try
taking hardwood cuttings in late winter and storing them til spring,
and then sticking them in pots, you might have better luck. Japanese
maples are typically grafted on rootstock of the species for the above
reason. Be patient, they can take several weeks to root, trust me, I
tried this last summer

Toad