Old 16-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:20:57 GMT, dusty wrote:

"Ray" wrote in news:27-dnUPN5LCnlfzfRVn-
:

What do you need non-absorbent cotton for?

The instructions that I have on using baby food jars states to poke a hole
in the center of top and stuff tightly with non-absorbent cotton. This is
done before they are sterilized. It's supposed to filter out the bad stuff
and alow the jar to breathe. Since it's non-absorbent it's not supposed to
wick any mosture out of the jar also. I also have a really old AOS book
that uses Erlenmeyer Flasks and stoppers them with non-absorbent cotton.
I have read where one person used bandaide spots for this but I don't think
a bandaide would survive heat sterilization.
I thought of trying synthetic fibers but they might melt and it may
take a lot of tests to find one that doesnt.

Dusty - the band aid is sterile why can't you pop it on as soon
as you take the jar out of the cooker before things cool to far.
Why do you need to sterilize it?

The cotton is loose and even if the package arrives sterile it is
opened and hangs around for a while. So I can see running it
thru.
SuE