Old 16-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Janie Gordon

Default FLORIDA Roses Question

I know that all FL roses need to be on FORTUNIANA root stock to last
more than 3-5 yrs... But there are times when a color is just to
difficult to do without, etc etc... and.. I buy it anyway.
I have a 2003 Handbook For Selecting Roses given to members of the Amer
Rose Society. (I got mine from a friend). I just bought a "CARY GRANT"
rose on Fortuniana root stock- but the handbook only give it a 7.2
rating= an average rose. The ratings go up to 10. and down to 6.0= not
recomended.
MY QUESTIONS:
-- Considering that its on Fortuniana root stock (lasts forever with
the right attention), does this mean it won't perform as well as a
higher rated rose? --
-- I mean just how reliable are the ARS ratings for each individual
state? --
I have a 3 yr old Climbing "Joseph's Coat" (NOT Fortuniana- so I guess
it won't last for more than 3 more yrs down here), ARS gives it only a
7.4 - YET, without ANY spray, very little feeding and ample water its my
most floriferous bush!!
Thanks for any feedback.
-- I Would also like to know how you feel about the Climber "Pink
Perpetue"... --