Old 17-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Rachel

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
news:ugr8e.14034$Zn3.4697@trnddc02...
certain
invasives actually enjoy disturbed soil (English Ivy, for example) so
removal of *other* invasives should reflect that. Toothwort is such a
charming native plant!

Yes, it really is. It's just everywhere right now, including around and in
and out of my patch of Virginia bluebells, which I reintroduced to a wettish
part of the yard by the edge of the woods and now, in their fourth spring,
they're really spreading. We also have a carpet of Claytonia virginica
(Spring Beauty) across our yard.

There's no English Ivy in sight around here, just tons and tons of the
honeysuckle. My biggest problem in pulling that up is coming in contact with
that nice native vine, poison ivy, to which I'm quite allergic. Pulling the
garlic mustard is easier, safer and quite rewarding; there are whole areas
where I pulled it last year and no little florettes of it have appeared this
spring.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums