Old 17-04-2005, 03:18 PM
danny

Did you make the bitmap files 60-80K? If so that was probably a mistake.
Make the bitmap file the correct size in pixels (we generally keep our
pictures no more than 800x600 pixels, sometimes a little more or less). The
file in bitmap format will be much larger than 80K. Then convert that file
to jpeg. The size will shrink dramatically. Jpeg uses compression to
decrease the file size (the amount of compression can be selected in many
programs, if your program doesn't give you that option don't worry about
it). The 7kb pictures are probably really small, but you can try posting
one on a.b.p.o. and see what happens. Once you get it figured out, I would
post a few at a time. There is nothing wrong with posting a dozen pictures
at once but if that is all the pictures you have, spreading them out will
probably increase your chances of getting comments on each individual
picture and increase the length of time you are interacting with the group.
-danny

"Alison" wrote in message
. ..
I was going to try posting photos on a.p.b.o., & after ages of first
trying to find it & then messing around with "Usenet Replayer", I
finally found the page that lets you send a message. Then, I hunted
through RGO for guidelines for photo posting, & found that the
pictures should be jpegs or gifs. My scanner is on an old computer
which doesn't allow the option of saving either type, so I usually
e-mail photos to friends as Windows bitmaps. So, I scanned them,
saved them, & then converted them in "Paint" to jpegs on the other
computer. When I scanned them I made the picture sizes similar to
those I saw on a.p.b.o., & they were generally 60-80K ... but then
when I converted them to jpeg on the other computer, they have all
come up at 6 or 7 KB. I have tried e-mailing them to myself & it
seems to work, but one of my e-mail addresses doesn't seem to be
working either, & Yahoo keeps asking me to verify that I am not a
spammer...!
It is 2 a.m. & maybe I'm just not doing this right due to being very
tired & also distracted by the cat who wants me to shut off the
computer & go to bed... but before crapping up on a.p.b.o., I thought
I'd better ask... can I send them at that size? Can I send them as
bitmaps? Assuming I can get it to work, how many pictures is it
appropriate to post at once? I found a dozen that were good but
didn't want to clutter up the group if there was a limit.
I'll figure it out after a while.... :P

Alison
(NOT a computer whiz)