Old 17-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Travis

KD wrote:
Greetings folks:

Very much a beginner here, and this year I'm attempting to actually
put some effort into the yard to make it more attractive.

I have some tulips and a patch of irises that were already here
when we bought the house. Both did fairly well the first year, but
last summer both suffered quite a bit. Lots of greenery, few
blooms. This year will be summer number three.

I'm guessing that maybe they need to be divided to do better. On to
the question. Is this the proper time to do this? Right now I've
got greenery, but only leaves, no buds happening yet.

According to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, my Halifax location
is zone 6a.

Thanks!

KD

Most but not all Tulips only bloom a very few (2 or 3) years and then
quit.
Some will go on for years. I'm not sure which ones they are. If I
remember correctly it is the red and yellow appledorn type. Hopefully
some one with more tulip expertise will speak up. Fall is the time to
divide Bearded iris. Dividing every 3 to 4 years is the rule of thumb.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5