Old 18-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Snooze

"Rich McKinney" wrote in message
news
Hi,

My bird, a Cockatiel, loves millet. I would like to grow some in my
garden.
Any body tried growing millet (I think it is White Millet)?

Rich
NC, Zone 7

It grows fairly easily apparently. I say this because I often find millet
growing under my birdfeeder. Keep in mind that most the prepackaged bird
seed bags contain heat treated or irradiated seeds to prevent the spilled
seed from germinating. Get a handful of millet from the bulk bins at a feed
store, that stuff is usually not sterilized, it's typically about 25c per
pound.

I suppose if you want to grow this specifically for your pet's consumption
and not all the local wild birds you'll probably need to cover it in some
sort of netting.

-S