Old 18-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Elaine T

Bill wrote:
Elaine T Spaketh Thusly:

bassett wrote:

You will be battling Algae growth, to the point that it will become
established, and nothing will shift it.

And this is from your extensive experience with sunlit tanks, or a wild
guess??? I'm running my THIRD sunlit planted tank and all have been
stable with algae easily controlled.

I've actually had MORE algae from overlit 3 WPG flourescent lights than
sunlight.

Just curious.... are you running CO2 in any/all of these tanks? My experience
makes me believe that the more light you have, the more you need CO2 to fight
algae. My low light tanks do well without it, my well lit tank bursts out in
algae if I slack off on mixing up a new yeast bottle. I guess strong sunlight
(I don't get enough at this latitude) is much stronger than most lighting
setups.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net

Ah. Yes, one had CO2, and the current one has Flourish Excel. Good
point there. I also fertilize with iron, trace elements, potash, and
nitrate if the tank needs it. My favorite "window" tank was a 55 gal
sitting next to a north window. It had 80W of fluorescent light plus
the sunlight. I had amazon swordplants flowering and throwing chains of
little swords across the tank.

My current one is in an eastern window with no supplimentary light and
is growing mid-light plants well, but not high light ones. Java fern,
Rotala indica, Saggitaria subulata and water sprite are all doing well
but the Alternanthera clippings from a high light tank are just sitting.
So the sunlight is not stronger than a lighting setup.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__