Old 18-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Jasbird

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:29:18 +0100, "Scooby Doo"
wrote:

I want to try my hand at gardening and was thinking of getting an allotment
and need a little advice.

As I work out of town I'll only really be able to tend to the allotment at
weekends - what kind of vegetables can I grow whilst only being a weekend
gardener? If there any good gardening books on weekend gardening I'd be
grateful.

Thanks

Most things. Blackberries, raspberries, radish, spinach,
beetroot, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, spuds, sweetcorn.
Anything that grows in the UK really.

I think tomatoes could be a problem for you as they need a lot
of water.

Brassicas need protection from birds to be maintained because
any chink in your netting/wire could be exploited; but even
there I think you should be OK.

The best advice I can give you is to think carefully about the
pros and cons of each site when the council give you an offer.
For instance, have a good look at the soil, talk to the other
gardeners. If you can find a site near where you live or work
you should be able to do summer work in the morning or evening
as well.

Most successful allotment gardeners do a little bit of work most
days. A fair number start with good intentions but the work
proves too much and they give up.