Old 18-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Leon Trollski

"KD" wrote in message
Greetings folks:

Very much a beginner here, and this year I'm attempting to actually put

some
effort into the yard to make it more attractive.

I have some tulips and a patch of irises that were already here when we
bought the house. Both did fairly well the first year, but last summer

both
suffered quite a bit. Lots of greenery, few blooms. This year will be

summer
number three.

I'm guessing that maybe they need to be divided to do better. On to the
question. Is this the proper time to do this? Right now I've got greenery,
but only leaves, no buds happening yet.

According to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, my Halifax location is zone
6a.

Thanks!

KD

Iris roots should be dug and divided AFTER blooming, as is the case with
most plants.

You can dig out the entire mass of roots (with effort) and concentrate on
cutting up the most viable new growth (outer part of the mass). Make sure
each piece has two or three "eyes" (bud points) and replant where you like,
ensuring the tuber sits on the surface, mostly exposed, in very well
draining soil, where standing water is not a problem, and in full sun.

The old central part of the root mass is likely good for tossing away.

Tulips all depend on the variety. Most hybrid divisions are no good after
one season and are dug and thrown away essentially as annuals. It is a
matter of digging and inspection, looking for large, healthy firm offsets.
You may have more luck with the Kauffmanania, Greigii, or Species divisons,
if naturalization is your goal.

Do your tulip dividing in September.

And do lots of reading from your library if truly interested!! Few net
resources can really beat a well written book devoted exclusively to your
plant of interest.