Old 18-04-2005, 03:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Surely annual crops have many advantages: quick results, ease of working
(allowing the field to be cleared and fertilized every year), etc. Some
plants that are actually perennials are grown as annuals.
PvR

schreef
I am wondering why cereals such as oats and wheat need to be planted

every year, at expense (labour and machinery). The grass on my lawn
seems to keep growing from year to year, even after cutting.

Does wheat die after ripening and forming seed? Even if the plants

lasted two years before ploughing and e.g. growing beans then that
would save a lot of fuel. Is this what zero tillage is about? Is
ploughing needed to cut down on weeds?

Can you buy perennial cereals, or are there people working on breeding

(or genetically engineering) them?

Dave.