Old 18-04-2005, 05:27 PM
shazzbat

"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

We found it in a neighbour's hedge and it seemed a shame not to. We have
a smallholding and very little about it is modern - an Anderson shelter
fits in rather well, and I don't know anyone else who has got one ("as
new" anyway) in their garden. It's a frost free place to store spuds and
I have a yen to grow musshrooms in it too...

Ah, I think you mean one of the ones made from "wiggly tin" don't you?

I was thinking of the ones I knew in Manchester when I was a kid. Brick
built with an enormous concrete slab for a roof. We had had one in our
garden, but it was reduced to ground level and turned into a pond by the
time I was born (baby boomer) Apparently my dad and several of his mates
spent an entire weekend with sledgehammers and made themselves extremely
unpopular in the process.

Steve