Old 19-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Salty Thumb

John Thomas wrote in :

Doug Kanter wrote:
From www.theonion.com. Actually, from their 2005 desk calendar. Be
glad you're a gardener. :-)

Genetically Modified Broccoli Shrieks Benefits at Shoppers

Bremerton, WA - A head of genetically modified broccoli shrieked its
numerous benefits at shoppers Monday in a Seattle-area Safeway. "I
contain 40 percent more vitamin A than non-modified broccoli!", the
head screeched at terrified produce aisle customers. "I can fight off
insects and disease without the use of pesticides!" Monsanto, which
produced the vegetable, stressed that genetic-modification technology
is still in its infancy, and that more pleasantly voiced broccoli
should hit store shelves fairly soon.

Whenever I talk with the hysterical people this article is lampooing,
my standard line is...

All varieties of food crops are genetically modified. Just what the
heck do you think 'plant breeding' is, anyway? At least the people
doing it have a better idea of exactly what happened, unlike
pre-recombninant methods.

Uh huh, sure. Once upon a time there were three little piggies. Each
one owned a house and each house was different, but since they were all
called houses, that made them the same. No one knows what happened to
the piggies because everyone was at the wolf's home having a barbeque.
Some guests got food poisoning but nobody ever said anything.