Old 18-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Siouxzi

Default Help me ID these little eggs...

Not sure whether to ask for a herpetologist or an entomologist...

Gardening this weekend, I moved some 4x4 landscape timbers from where
they were resting and rotting around the borders of my flower garden.
As usual, I found several of my buddies, the Worm Snakes, under the
timbers, and gently moved them away to safety while I worked. But then
I found something else: two clutches of 6-10 eggs that I had never
seen or noticed before. They were nestled in a depression under the
timber where they could lay moist and undisturbed. One clutch was
right next to the curled-up earth snake... but are snake eggs round or
oval?

The eggs are smaller than a BB, perhaps the size of a small cilantro
seed. They are shiny, translucent, and whitish in color with a gray
dot barely visible inside, probably the developing critter or some
part thereof. The eggs are firm and not gelatinous or sticky. They're
not stuck together either. I was afraid of smashing them when I
replaced the timbers, so I made a little terrarium so I could see what
they'll hatch into. Just some pebbles and soil, dampened, and a piece
of wet black mulching cloth to keep them moist and out of direct
light.

Could they be salamandar or snake eggs, or did I just provide a
hatchery for something disgusting like slugs? I can't find any egg
photos on the internet.

Cheers

Sue
BTW I used to think that earth snakes and worm snakes were two names
for the same thing. But according to his page they're not. Most of the
snakes I find in my yard are worm snakes--they are beautiful with a
pink belly. But yesterday one of the snakes I found WAS an earth
snake--darker above, cream belly.
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...enus_002. jpg