Old 18-04-2005, 11:46 PM
keith ;-\)

Hi Rod ,How have you got the controller wired to use with the propagator?I
have two of these controllers one is in use with a 2kw heater,I am not using
the other one .So you have got me thinking about using mine in conjunction
with my sankey propagator which has no thermostat.Are you powering (live)the
controller from the power to the propagator or have you got two separate
fused supplies.
Also how have you got the unit set up,have you got the parameters set ,so
say the propagator comes on when the temp drops to 17 then off at 19 to
maintain around 18 c.
I have found the unit a bit of a fiddle to wire and set up.If you are not
too good on the DIY then I would suggest to those who aren't to forget this
unit.The instructions are quite technical,I have found you have to really
mess about until you have got it right and understand how the unit is set.I
thought you could just set it at say 18c and that was it ,but it isn't as
simple as that,how have you found it?

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Rod" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:51:38 GMT, "peterlsutton"
wrote:

I have just bought a large (22" x 15") Sankey 22 watt heated propagator

for
£20. I put some cuttings in it and switched it on. With an ambient
temperature of 62F, a thermometer pushed to the bottom of the pot

registers
a temperature of 98F, in the middle of the pot it is 85F and resting on

top
it is 72F. I have compared the thermometer with another and am happy

that
it is accurate. The propagator is placed on a sheet of polystyrene.

This sounds as though it could fry cuttings pushed in too deep. What
temperatures should I be using and at what measurement point. It has

only
been on for 36 hours so far and nothing has died yet. Presumably this

steep
gradient is normal, irrespective of the actual temperatures.

Yes, and laterally as well - it's quite patchy. A lot will depend if
your rooting medium is in pots on sand or similar or if it's direct
into the propagator base. If the latter it will probably be on the
warm side if the cuttings are too deep. I use one of these for
germinating Cyclamen seeds for which I want a constant18C, I've hacked
a proper thermostat into the mains lead. By proper I mean reasonably
accurate (+/- 2C or better) and above all repeatable.Suitable
instruments are available on the electronic surplus market. This one
is OK.

http://www.highland-weather-shop.com...tat-Controller

I've had a couple of these from him, one runs my workshop heating with
the help of a suitably rated mains relay, the other controls a
propagator like yours. It's reassuring to know that what you see on
the display is what you get.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.