Old 19-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Doug Kanter

"John Thomas" wrote in message ...
some ignorant poster wrote:

I saw the thing I posted as a lampoon of the manufacturer, which is
precisely what Monsanto is. You might want to read a bit more before
being so sure about "the people doing it". A book called "The Botany of
Desire" would be a good start. Easy reading, very informative.

Read? I've been working in this for over 20 years. With a PhD in a related
field, I just might know what the hell I'm talking about, even more so
than your average poster here. Just maybe.

If you want a good popular writer on the topic, try Peter Raven instead.

I propose, then, that you are too close to "the field" to see the simple
logic you missed in this paragraph, written by you earlier:

"All varieties of food crops are genetically modified. Just what the heck
do you think 'plant breeding' is, anyway? At least the people doing it
have a better idea of exactly what happened, unlike pre-recombninant
methods."

Get back to me tomorrow after you've thought about it a bit, and I'll
straighten you out. It involves a factor you cannot deal with in a
scientific fashion.