Old 19-04-2005, 03:05 PM
peterlsutton

"Rod" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:51:38 GMT, "peterlsutton"
wrote:

Yes, and laterally as well - it's quite patchy. A lot will depend if
your rooting medium is in pots on sand or similar or if it's direct
into the propagator base. If the latter it will probably be on the
warm side if the cuttings are too deep. I use one of these for
germinating Cyclamen seeds for which I want a constant18C, I've hacked
a proper thermostat into the mains lead. By proper I mean reasonably
accurate (+/- 2C or better) and above all repeatable.Suitable
instruments are available on the electronic surplus market. This one
is OK.

http://www.highland-weather-shop.com...rmostat-Contro
ller

I've had a couple of these from him, one runs my workshop heating with
the help of a suitably rated mains relay, the other controls a
propagator like yours. It's reassuring to know that what you see on
the display is what you get.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Many thanks Rod - that has been really useful. I have just ordered a
controller from that site. I couldn't find such an item with Google. I may
well build my own propagator, with an added light source. I know that a
couple of inches of sand in the propagator will even out lateral temperature
differances, but it eats into the height available, and is additional
insulation meaning more of the heat will go out sideways and downwards.
Would a metal sheet spread the heat more evenly without the insulation
effect.

Your cyclamen look fantastic, you must have got it right. Do different
types of say herbaceous perennials need different temperatures for seeds and
cuttings and where do you find this information, and what about the light
requirements?

Thanks again for your help

Peter