Old 19-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..
"John Thomas" wrote in message ...
Whenever I talk with the hysterical people this article is lampooing, my
standard line is...

All varieties of food crops are genetically modified. Just what the heck
do you think 'plant breeding' is, anyway? At least the people doing it
have a better idea of exactly what happened, unlike pre-recombninant
methods.

I don't think most people have a problem with the use of genetic
modification if they used dna already present in that particular species
genome. That's the just producing a hybrid with hopefully less trial and
error. However I do have a problem with using dna from an entirely
different species to produce something that wasn't naturally possible.

For example tomatoes have been made frost resistant by splicing in a gene
from a flounder that makes some sort of "antifreeze". Other things that
concern me, is plants like maize/corn have been modified to the point
where some variations are inedible by humans and others are outright toxic
for human consumption. With the thousands of tons of corn produced every
year around the world, it's not difficult for containers to get swapped
and turn pharmaceutical corn into corn syrup.

Even with buffer zones, accidents are going to happen.

How can accidents be a bad thing as long as money is made?