Old 19-04-2005, 03:26 PM
peterlsutton

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , peterlsutton
writes

Many thanks Charlie - I would be down there to see you except I am in
Yorkshire. I assume you mean a temperature of 21C at the bottom of the
cutting. That is way less than than the 85F (30C) I am getting. I am
surprised that Sankey can sell a unit that is so hot.

Maybe it is malfunctioning if you think it getting too hot?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

This had passed through my mind - but it is so basis that there is nothing
to malfunction. There is no controller. 240 volts goes in and heats a pad.
The only way the pad could malfunction is if it shorted in which case there
would be less heat or no heat. The only alternative is that the wrong pad
has been used, but after googling they appear to be pretty standard at 10 to
15 watts per square foot. At least if I plant some plum stones I should get
stewed prunes.

I think that the basic problem is that in a propagator the bottom of a pot
can be 30F higher than the top of the pot, and this is going to happen in
any propagator. And anyone who only measures the surface temperature will
be unaware of this gradient.

Peter