Old 19-04-2005, 08:00 PM
p00kie

"peterlsutton" wrote in message

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

Hi,

Just want a spot of advice.
My soil is very heavy clay and waterlogs readily in certain areas of
the garden.

I am also on soggy clay, and as well as organic matter, I have just added
ton on 10 mil gravel from a builders yard. I was in Harlow Carr (RHS
Harrogate) which is similar clay and saw them also adding grit to the
soil.
I was told that sharp sand or grit or gravel or anything like that helps.
They also said add any organic matter even if it is not fully composted..
It
all adds bits to the soil to allow water to drain through.

Peter

I have tempremental clay ... some bits soggy, other bits okay and some other
bits dry ... but I've got about 15 clematis growing quite happily!
Garden is east facing too!