Old 19-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Roger wrote:
I have always considered that trees should be pruned before they

start
to blossom. I also cut back any shoots coming out of the trunk or

up
from the roots during winter.

Now we are in spring and the trees are starting to blossom. Many of

my
trees allready have ambitious shoots coming out of the trunk/roots.
Should I cut these back as they appear or wait till the end of the
growing season?

In particular I have a decorative cherry tree that has been spliced
about 2M from the groung. The branches breaking out from the splice
have a pink blossom, but from the splice down I have the white
blossom of the 'host tree'sprouting out of the trunk. Is this

normal?

The stock, the bit with the roots, is usually a more vigorous grower
than the graft, so you're likely to end up with a mainly or
completely white tree. you should tear out (downwards, but carefully)
the shoots below the union rather than cutting them, as you would
with suckers coming from the roots. Cutting will just encourage the
shoot to produce more shoots, which will nab the nourishment you want
to go to the bit you actually paid for.

But it shouldn't usually happen: I wonder if you were sold a pup.
(Pear trees on quince stocks can be a pain this way, though.)

Take care, too: trees which flower on last year's wood won't flower
this year if you prune them before flowering. Plenty of info on the
web and in the usual books.

--
Mike.