Old 19-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Roger wrote:
Mike wrote:
Also is it worth lining the shed side of the bed.

My only contribution here is with regards to the 'soil against the
shed'.

Don't!!

The shed will rot faster than you could believe.

I have made a raised border against the neighbours fence and laid
three rows of concrete blocks, laid flat, just clear of the fence
and fronted the border with a couple of rows of 'book sized'

broken
paving slabs. The plants at the front tumble over onto the patio

and
the plants at the back 'almost' cover the concrete blocks, but
strategically placed containers are also on the concrete blocks as
they form a very stable shelf.

All of this was made on very old rough concrete, but I made holes

for
drainage before filling with soil and compost.

This is the first full year, I did this in the Spring of last

year,
and it looks fine :-))

Mike

Correguated roofing sheet can be placed against the side of the

shed
in front of the earth. Make sure that the sheet goes right down

below
the level of the woodwork and that the air can circulate from
underneath the shed.

I would suggest the heavy duty resin types. Light plastic is not
stroong enougth, and cement fibre will still hold the dampness.

Give a good pasting of wood preserver to the bit of the shed to be
covered before placing the panel.

Interesting, Roger. How long does it keep on working? With my luck
the weight of soil would squeeze even heavtyweight resin. Would you
recommend fitting 2x1 treated timber spacers edge-on along the bottom
of the shed to make sure the resin sheeting stays away?

--
Mike.