Old 19-04-2005, 09:29 PM
keith ;-\)

If you want to go for veg ,try the shallow rooted varieties & veg which is
quick to crop like ,lettuce ,radish.If I were you I would go to my nearest
garden centre & browse through the veg seed packets, read the packets and
see what you think would suit your site.
You have nothing to lose,its all trial & error!
Hope this helps at all .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I don't know about veg but what about sempervivum .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden
and I was wondering what the panel would advise we plant on it?

They look like this:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/melting...hel/shel2.html

and were often, if not usually, planted up as extra vegetable plot as
part of "Digging for Victory".

There is about 12 inches of soil over the top of the structure, sides
sloping at about 45 degrees, and two "raised bed" areas at either side
about two feet deep and two feet front to back, extending the length of
the shelter (about eight feet in all). The soil will obviously be very
free draining, especially over the top of the structure.

What vegetables would thrive in these conditions? Any advice gratefully
received. TIA.