Old 19-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Roger

Mike Lyle wrote:

The stock, the bit with the roots, is usually a more vigorous grower
than the graft, so you're likely to end up with a mainly or
completely white tree.

I can see that happening, there are several strong white blossomed
shoots coming out of the base of the union (noe I know what the splice
**should** be called), I can see these could take over.

Thanks for the advice!

I have some paste of the sort you use for covering cankers, should I put
a drop of this were I remove shoots?

BTW, can you, or anybody, reccomend a good book on tree husbandry? I
have DG.Hessayon's Tree and Shrub expert but this is mostly concerned
with classification rather than plant care. I have around 20 trees now
(mostly young), but still plently more space were I plan to add more.

I also have about 200 chestnut trees which I don't have time to care for
properly, but I would like to make a better effort!