Old 20-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Ruth

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:00:55 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote:

Ruth wrote:
Would anyone have the slightest idea as
to what eats the leaves of Tuberous Begonias please?

I can't spot the little devils and they are destroying my
beautiful plants.

Thanks. Ruth.

Bull Terriers just love tuberous begonias! (At least, mine does...=:-0 )

Also, slugs and snails won't leave much after a night or two. You'd be
surprised how good they are at leaving no trace! I began putting my last
remaining TB on top of the Wizz Bin at night and the depredations soon
stopped. As soon as I put it back among the other pots, I had swiss
cheese leaves again!

One good thing about TBs is that the tuber will live on against all
odds! Mine got fried by the hot westerlies of summer and 'died' on me.
Just last week, I saw it has sprouted a tiny shoot and lives again! You
might want to hang yours in a basket, that way it's off the ground and
away from most crawling pests. Anything that flies in (eg. cabbage moths
and their eggs/caterpillars) will have to be picked off by hand.

Thanks Trish for the reply.

Well *I* can't blame the dog, he's gone to the Rainbow Bridge!

However, all the rest you mention are a distinct possibility.

What a bummer because as you say, Swiss cheese isn't in it!
They are such beautiful flowers and do seem to survive
against the odds.

Ruth in Melbourne.