Old 20-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Kay wrote:
In article , Phil

writes
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

Obviously R.E. wasn't on the syllabus at whatever school it

was
you attended...

It was but they didn't teach us about Latin / Italian / Greek
spellings for obscure plants, it was more about God, Yahweh,
Iseraelites and such likes, what a strange school you must have
attended. :-p
Maybe it's a girls' school thing - you mean you didn't get the
biblical story about Jesus referring to Peter as his 'rock' (or
something like that ...)?

Hmmm, no not really, we didn't get any biblical stories at all, it
was more a kind of 'debate' type lesson where the teacher would put
forward a topic (maybe religion related, I can't remember) and the
whole class would argue against each other...he would sit on his

desk
watching the battle unfold and only ever chirped in if it got too
heated. - it wasn't a religious school, so RE itself wasn't a study
of the christian religion, more a study of religion per se.

I'm all for that. But, OT, it's quite impossible to understand whole
chunks of our culture without some knowledge of the Bible: I wish
schools could find a way of dealing with the problem. (I was amused a
while ago to learn of a school which had placed religious education
in the Humanities Department!)

--
Mike.