Old 20-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Snooze

"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message
Would you eat the asphalt?

I wouldn't eat most stuff that goes into the garden soil (compost,
manure,
loam, perlite, worms). The small amount of asphalt shouldn't be
harmful/toxic to your plants. Just add something to the soil so that it
doesn't become compacted.

What is the asphalt made of? I have no idea, but I wonder if
(e.g.) used motor oil is a constituent, or anything else rich
in metallic compounds? That could be an issue if the plan is
to grow vegetables above.

Asphalt is made from tar and rocks/sand. Tar is the left over stuff from
processing crude oil and coal, some tar is extracted from the ground as
well. If some asphalt gets mixed into the soil as you remove the driveway,
no harm done. There isn't anything inherently nutrient rich in asphalt that
would make me want to intentionally add it.

-S