Old 21-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Eyebright Eyebright is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idec44
I have a large and currently happy red Camellia - i.e. it has bloomed profusely this year.
We have building works starting next week and I think I ought to prune the Camellia, so that it doesn't get battered by the builder. They are building a wall 4 feet away from it.
How severely should I prune it, (or not) as I really don't want to lose it.
i'd do any pruning after the builders had departed and just remove any damage they may cause....incidently there is a chinese method of pruning Camellia where shoots and branches are removed leaving gaps just large enough for a bird to " fly through " without touching the plant. i tried this method on some large new transplants and found...in the uk at least...that the greater air movement this pruning style allows meant the individual flowers lasted longer because they dried out quicker after rain .