Old 21-04-2005, 04:39 AM
Thomas

Well,
I'm in Texas, and that means planting garlic the first week of October so it
will be growing underground during the winter and shoot up stalks in the
spring. Planting garlic in the spring doesn't give the whole bulb time to
develop. Where I live the last average frost is about March 21st, so that
means that the tomatoes won't go in the ground until April, so by then our
garlic is about a foot tall. The garlic is well established with little
competition from the tomatoes. The garlic will probably help with pest
control by virtue of being in close proximity to the tomatoes. The garlic
is usually ready to come out by late June to mid July and the tomatoes (if
we are lucky) will continue to produce (indeterminate varieties) well into
August or even September before we get some sort of fusarium wilt

Thomas

"The Ranger" wrote in message
A long time ago, in a land my parents owned, my dad showed me the benefits
of planting some plants with others. It's one of the few lessons that I
didn't blow off during my rebellious teenage angst. Unfortunately, due to
aging and non-use of such a wealth of free knowledge, I no longer remember
whether planting garlic with tomatoes is beneficial or disastrous. If I
planted some cloves of garlic with my new batch of heirlooms (five beef
steak and three Brandywine), will the tomatoes pick up and be dominated by
the garlic? Is it even worth planting garlic with the plants to prevent
insect predation?

Many thanks.

The Ranger