Old 21-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Duncan Heenan

"taz" wrote in message
k...
I have just picked up a second hand petrol mower.
It is a Red Devil one and quite cheap in construction.
It works fine but I am worried about the fuel. The seller
said it was just straight unleaded but I think it should
have some 2 troke oil in.

So the question is are lawnmower engines 4 stroke?
or as I suspect will it be 2 stroke?

Thanks for any advise.

taz.

There are both 4 stroke and 2 stroke mowers, and the fuel is not
interchangeable without damage resulting. The easy way to tell the
difference is if the engine has inlet & exhaust valves it is 4 stroke. If
started and run for a few seconds the noise & tickover beat will tell you
too. Most 2 strokes also say on the fuel tank or cap what the mix should be.
Ask any mechanic - they'll tell you in seconds. Or phone the seller or Red
Devil.