Old 21-04-2005, 12:14 PM
BillT

Thanks.

In article ,
says...
BillT wrote:
I thought I read that anaerobic process in the potting soil,
like rotting, will produce beneficial things for the plants
like CO2. And xomething about facilitating something about the
affinity for root exchange receptiveness to beneficial ions or
something like that.

Rotting potting soil will foul your tank and may kill fish if disturbed.
Anaerobic processes generally do not produce very much CO2 but can
produce toxic H2S and other sulfide compounds. You can get very good
ion exchange in the root zone with inert clays like laterite.