Old 21-04-2005, 05:38 PM
David J. Braunegg

Default Gravel Depth

I tried Elodea a couple of years ago, but my Platys were ravenous and
completely destroyed the plants. After removing the Elodea, I reduced the
gravel depth to 1/2" to make gravel vacuuming easier. I've decided to try
again and this past weekend I added some plants to my 10-gallon tank: 1
Anubias barteri, 2 Cryptocoryne wendtii, and 2 corkscrew Valisneria (the LFS
fellow actually gave me an extra 2 small ones, as well).

My questions:
- For the plants that I now have, how deep should the gravel be?
- What is the procedure for gravel vacuuming with plants? Go around/between
them? Go lightly over the root areas? Only vacuum in non-planted areas of
thee tank? (All the plants are on the left side.)

Thanks!
Dave