Old 21-04-2005, 09:26 PM
ned

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

My "Shit Book", aka Bang & Dahlstrom, _Collins Guide to Animal
Tracks and Signs_, agrees with Janet, saying fox droppings "are
sausage-shaped, usually 8-10 cm long and c. 2 cm across and with

spirally-twisted point at one end." If the dropping is broken

up,
only one bit has the point. It makes no mention of lawns as a

likely
site, though it's possible if a fox has a regular path across a
particular lawn; in general they leave them on a slight

elevation,
allowing scent-marking to take better effect. Hedgehog

droppings,
on
the other hand, usually have a point at one end, but there's no
mention of a twist. "The size is very variable, but on average

each
dropping is 3-4 cm long and 8-10 mm thick." "...they can be

found
distributed at random on, for instance, lawns..." I infer that

fox
droppings are black only in autumn when they've been eating

berries,
while hedgehog ones are black all the year round.

The spiral twisting is not invariable, because it is caused by

there
being a lot of hair and feathers in it, and they are often

(perhaps
usually) black, anyway. My difficulty is in telling a small fox
dropping from a large hedgehog one.

I see quite a lot of ones that are 5-7 cm long and c. 1.5 cm

thick,
so you can see why I have the difficulty!

Hmm. I suppose in those cases one can only fall back on probability
based on location, unless the culprit's caught in the act of
committing a public nuisance. (Lowering the tone, I think of an
incident in Robert Graves's _Goodbye to All That_. A soldier was up
before the CO for "committing a nuisance" on the parade ground --

and
who among us hasn't briefly wanted to do that at one time or
another? -- and pleaded in defence having been caught short; the RSM
broke in, saying, "I hexamined the nuisance, sir, and it was done
with a heffort!")

:-))

Re the difference between small fox and big hedgehog poo;

if it's fresh try the sniff test.
Very smelly - fox.
not-so-smelly, hedgehog.

If its old, break it down and look for fur and feather - fox.

A bit extreme? Needs must, when the devil drives. ;-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 16.04.2005