Old 22-04-2005, 12:40 AM
RichToyBox

Patience, Patience, Patience. That is the one sure ingredient in any system
that works, and it sounds like you have the rest of the system in place.
--
RichToyBox

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Betcha you've heard that question before...but I did read the FAQ.
Unfortunately, I still have green water and I thought I'd done everything
natural to cure it. I've finally got 75% of the surface of my 3 barrels
shaded with water hyacinth, water lettuce, and duckweed. The WH has almost
doubled in 2 weeks. Oxygenators are growing well, with about 4 bunches in
each barrel. I've got marginals in each barrel too now - some are just
getting started but the Acorus, fiber optic grass, umbrella palm and canna
lily are growing well. I also started some watercress and it seems to be
taking hold. My newly planted Iris are breaking the surface now, and
pickerel is getting close. I can't see the water lily in the green water
so no idea whether it's growing or not.

I've tested the water and there's no ammonia, nitrite, or even nitrate. pH
is 7.4. I don't have a phosphate test. It seems I have enough
biofiltration. I have two of these 4" strainers
http://www.calpump.com/productsub.as...0T&category=10 on my
pump intake covered with their thick foam prefilters and filled with
bioballs. Actually one is half Chemi Pure and half bioballs at the
moment. I have about 65 gallons of water housing 3 2" shubunkins, 3 white
clouds, 2 gambusia, and some ramshorn snails. The smaller fish have been
in the pond for a total of 10 weeks with the first shubie added a little
over a month ago.

The plants have apparantly finally sucked all the nitrates out of the
water, according to plan. The nitrate has dropped from about 5-7 ppm to
zero since I added the WH and duckweed. I've also been fertilizing
regularly with iron, trace elements, and potash the way I do fishtanks to
help the plants out. Even the green fuzz has slowed down to the point
that the fish and snails are keeping it lawnmowed. Bu the green water
keeps right on going.

So, I have shaded water, no nitrates, a TON of now nitrogen-starved
plantlife, hopefully adequte filtration and the water is still so green
and murky I can't see deeper than about 6". Fish? What fish?

I'm at a loss. Chemicals are not an option as I intend to eat my
watercress, and the cost of a UV unit is currently prohibitive. Do I need
more filtration, even though there's no ammonia or nitrite? Do I leave
things alone and wait now that nitrates are zero? Do I add nitrate in
case the plants are starved for it and can't outcompete the algae? Should
I try a flocculating agent? Help!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__