Old 22-04-2005, 03:21 AM
Pete

(Fernando) wrote in
om:

Hi,
i've been facing algae problems for some time, i first bought an
alguicide which had very little results and used the tipical magnet
brush (by the way, which way is suposed to clean algae: the soft one
or the spicky one? i've tried both!). But algae continue to grow, and
some plants have become weak and grow very slowly. I'm planning on
buying some algae eaters and some product to reduce nitrates...

The guy from the fish shop told me about two algae eaters types: one
for brown algae and another one for green-filamented ones, i'm not
sure if i should buy some of each kind or what... which ones give best
results?
and how many should i put if i have a 66 l./17 gal. with about 30
guppies?

Also, do nitrates-reducing products work well? and why could be that
plants grow higher at sides that at the center?

Thanks.

I'll just point out two things as others have responded already with good
points.

It's the pointy magnet you use for removing algae, you need a number of
passes to remove it all though.

The algaecide could have harmed the plants, if it's copper based the effect
can take a long time and so your plants might just slowly die off.

As the others mentioned, you'll have to look at the tank as a whole.
Number of fish, lighting, quanity of plants (a great way of reducing
nitrates btw) etc.

Luck
Peter.