Old 22-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Endangered Bucket Farmer

In article
,
says...
"The Ranger" writes:
whether planting garlic with tomatoes is beneficial or disastrous. If I

You might be interested in something I wrote on this very topic to another
newsgroup only yesterday; here it is:

On a radio gardening program, an old gardener rang in with this tip for
combatting fruit fly in tomatoes. He hammers in a sturdy stake and plants
two tomato seedlings alongside it at Winter's end. At the same time, he
has some garlic growing nearby. By the time the tomatoes are fruiting the
garlic is ready so he pulls it up and hangs it on the stake. I think he
said 4 corms per stake. He reckons that with the garlic there he has no
trouble with fruit fly in his tomatoes. Might be worth a try.

I didn't include r.g.e in the groups originally because I don't know
whether the US or UK have the fruit fly menace. These are like small
mosquitoes that lay their eggs in the fruit and these hatch to become
grubs that destroy the fruit from the inside.

Fruit flies are a very serious threat in the US. Even
resulting in government-sponsored spraying over
residential areas, from helicopters. I vaguely
remember this going on the the Los Angeles area in
about 1990.

Also apparently a big problem in Florida, for citrus
orchards.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/