Old 22-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Sacha

On 20/4/05 20:48, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

snip

I'm all for that. But, OT, it's quite impossible to understand whole
chunks of our culture without some knowledge of the Bible: I wish
schools could find a way of dealing with the problem. (I was amused a
while ago to learn of a school which had placed religious education
in the Humanities Department!)

When I visited Florence and went round the Uffizi Gallery, I realised that
without *some* knowledge of Christianity, many of the paintings were
meaningless - beautifully executed of course, wonderful to look at and enjoy
but definitely enriched by even a little knowledge.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)