Old 23-04-2005, 02:17 AM
paghat

In article . com,
wrote:

I have a tree in the front yard and just discover that almost every
leave on the tree have holes in it. Not sure if it's insect eating
it?(but every leave). It look as it grew like that. Any advise would
be helpful for this first time home owner. thank you.

Sounds like bugs to me. If the holes have what look like burn-marks on
the rim as though a cigarette was pressed to the leaf, then its fungus,
but if they're clean chomps, there are probably insects crawling out of
the soil at night & up into the branches, chowing down, then going back
into the soil before you see them.

If you get a product called Tanglefoot, you can paint this all around the
bottom of the trunk & it will keep the leaf-chompers from reaching the
leaves. (The instructions suggest an elaborate method of wrapping the
bottom of the trunk then putting Tanglefoot on the wrapping, but the old
method was just to apply it directly to the trunk & I don't think the
wrapping "kit" to be bought separately is at all needed). If you can
identify the specific insect, you can obtain the precise type of nematode
to introduce into the soil, & over time the nematodes will take care of
any insect problem, but the immediate protection is Tanglefoot.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html