Old 22-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Neil Cairns

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:44:01 +0100, sam wrote:

Every year I have planted onion sets in my modest vegetable plot, and
before they have had time to get established several of them are lifted,
by birds (presumably).The sets are left lying on the ground.Why do birds
do this ? This year,for the first time, I have covered the sets with
fleece, which will remain place until the onions are well established;
but I would still like to know the reason for this strange behaviour.

I always start mine of in modules and plant out with a trowel when the
leafs are abouit 3" . Firm them in and they never get pulled out till
I'm ready to do that job. I also use old bakers trays to lay them out
for drying.
Neil