Old 23-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Anil Kaushik

Seed germination needs right temperature and HUMIDITY for which one has to wait
for the right season. However since those conditions can be created
artificially, there are many ways of doing that. I have successfully grown
scores of CACTI and other SUCCULENT plants by enclosing the entire pot of seeds
in a clean transparent polybag! At the beginning of the winter (here it is mid
November) I sterilise the clay pot and the porous medium in an oven! Once it
cools down, I sprinkle the seeds on the medium and immerse it in water mixed
with some Bavistan ( a fungicide). Once it is drenched, I put it overnight to
drain excess water. Next morning I ENCLOSE the pot in a clean transparent
polybag and put it in the bright light (NOT in full Sun). Within less than a
week the seeds germinate. After about three months I open the bag and spray the
plantlets daily. Another couple of days I remove the bag and keep it in the
filtered sunlight gradually exposing these to more sunlight.

I cannot say whether this method will work for trees and shrubs used for making
Bonsai, in the temperate climate of the West. But it will be worth giving it a
try.

Regards to all.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

this method does work IF you keep it out of direct sun and thus turn it into
an oven
Did it with my school classes for years.
Pauline

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++