Old 23-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Bruce W.1

Default Automatic house plant watering?

Sometimes I have to go out of town for a month or two. I'm trying to
figure out a way to keep my house plants watered.

I've tried the ceramic cones that have a water tube attached. This
works pretty well, but only for a few weeks. I think hydrostatic
pressure affects this system too much. It can pull more water than is
needed.

Also I've experienced mold growth in my water reservoir. I'm not sure
if there's a solution to this, or if it's really a problem. Is this
mold harmful to plants?

Seems like there should be a simpler way of distributing water, like
with a cotton rope. The toilet reservoir might make a good
self-replenishing water reservoir.

Has anyone devised a way of automatically watering house plants for two
or three months?

Thanks for your help.