Old 23-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Popeye

Thanks Martin

I guess I should prick them out as soon as I can handle them (by the
first true leaves? - is it not possible to hold them, carefully by the
first pair?). I've looked this morning and I have at least a dozen now,
they're tiny but well spaced in the pot.

I had intended to grow them on in a group in the garden, but having
heard what you advise I'll try various sites.

Thanks again.

Martin Brown wrote:
Popeye wrote:

I have successfully germinated these seeds following the advice on the
seed packet (two weeks on in a warm light place, followed by two weeks
in the refridgerator). The packet then says to remove seedlings "as
they emerge" and pot on.

They are a bit prone to damping off and resent any root disturbance.

I read that as "take the seedlings singly from the pot as you see them".
I have about a dozen showing, no more than a couple of millimetres tall.
Is there a reason for this very specific advice to remove as they
emerge and would it do any harm to let them grow on together to a
reasonable size before pricking out?

If you let them grow on their roots will tangle and almost guarantee
that none of them survive being transplanted.

The packet does indicate that they are

difficult to germinate (but offers a promise that by following their
specific instructions one would be successful - is it perhaps because
they normally germinate at very different rates and the percentage of
such germination is low?)

Fresh seed usually comes up for me like mustard and cress. The
difficulty is in transplanting them and keeping them alive.

I really don't want to loose them so any advice would be much
appreciated.

Try and keep several plants growing well and don't let them flower in
the first year. Plant them somewhere acidic, cool and damp if possible
but try a few different places in your garden they are very choosy about
where they will grow. If happy they will self seed if not they sulk.

Regards,
Martin Brown