Old 23-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 4/23/2005 3:52:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Anyone can buy a bonsai, some species will almost care for themselves.
But, I ask you, is that the true spirit of bonsai? Owning the tree? For
me it is not. If asked, I want to be able to reply "This one I grew
myself" not

"You can get them at a discount 10 Bucks right across the street from
where I work. I water them myself."

These we call Mallsai. You can't buy a decent Bonsai pot for $10.

We should all live our lives as we see fit (within reason and the
rules of society) so if growing Bonsai from seed is how you wish to approach,
great.

But, for me Bonsai is about caring for the tree. This is a lot more
than watering. It involves all of the horticultural skills as well as some art.
I can go to a nursery in Vero Beach, Florida and buy a Bonsai that has been in
training for many years. The day I buy it it will be a stunning tree. But,
after a year of "just watering" it will be a nice tree that needs attention
(pruning, maybe repotting, etc.), After two years it will not be stunning anymore.

I have been doing Bonsai for some time and have a few trees grown from
seed (pomegranates for example) but I can't think of any in a Bonsai pot. I
do have some decent Chinese Elms, Boxwoods and F. saclisifolia that I started
as cuttings.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++