Old 23-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Henrik Gistvall

I will post a pic on the IBC gallery of my Pomegranate grown from seed 7
years ago. I show it as a detterent. I did everything wrong with this
plant. I was grown in a small pot all the time and when the
sacrificebranches died back after a frost, I started pruning for better
ramification insted of growing more sarifice branches. By the time it
was exposed to frost I was tired of it and didnīt care for a better
trunk. And of course Sweden is not the best place for pomegranates
either. All and all it has been a total waste of time, but i I have
grown emotionally attached to it so I gave it pot this spring and I just
canīt get rid of it, now it just takes space, the only good thing is
that itīs small ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Berti Ferranti wrote:

Don Walker schrieb:
Respectfully, I'd like to disagree.

I've heard many people say the journey is the prize, they seek the peace
and joy of working with nature. You are all presuming that Berti's
primary motivation is to show Bonsai at the monthly club meeting or to
complete the "project".

While I take no issue with those who find value in these pursuits, their
reasons are not mine. I fully expect those trees I don't kill to
outlive my association with them. I hope someone else will choose to
care for them when we part company.

If at 85 I choose to plant a few acorns I won't be worrying about seeing
them become great Bonsai but will instead be thinking about the great
oaks I've seen and will smile when I see them poking their heads up from
the dirt.

-Don
1+ years experience in bonsai.

Indeed, just to clarify this, I do not require a bonsai right away. If I
did, I could have bought one as-is. My primary goal is to grow a bonsai.
I do not care much for displaying it until it is presentable, if at all.

Although this is - as may have become apparent - my first project in
that direction, I do have enough experience with plants in general and
bonsai specifically to not underestimate the time it takes to grow an
adult tree of miniature proportions.

Anyone can buy a bonsai, some species will almost care for themselves.
But, I ask you, is that the true spirit of bonsai? Owning the tree? For
me it is not. If asked, I want to be able to reply "This one I grew
myself" not "You can get them at a discount 10 Bucks right across the
street from where I work. I water them myself."

Berti

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++