Old 23-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message

Salmonella is good for you :-) Seriously, except for the very
young, very old and seriously ill, it is not a significant problem.

Judith's grandson is very young, that is why I mentioned it.

It's still not really worth worrying about, except to avoid giving
actual babies food that has been hanging around for ages. There
just isn't any way that you can avoid it except by living inside,
as it is carried by birds as well as mammals. I don't know what
the window of sensitivity is, but I do know that it is very short.

I agree that not exposing babies to fox dung is a good idea, but
salmonella is NOT what I would be worried about.

Please don't copy the hysterical tabloids (including some of the
medical journals).

I didn't. Please don't put worms in my mouth.

Well, I didn't - or no more than you did :-) I was responding to
your grouping of toxocara, hydatid and salmonella, which encourages
the naive to believe that they are all of comparable severity.
Yes, many people believe the tabloids when they refer to the killer
bacteria (sic) E. coli :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.